Monday, June 18, 2012

Planning and Bug Fixes

So this week really hasn't been as productive as I had been hoping it would be between a rather annoying bug in dashboard and a ludicrous amount of time at work. After implementing a less-than-optimal fix where I just manually store the name of the organization for a Connection for the getListData() query in dashboard.py (~line 1270), I have reached a point where:

  • Users and org admins can view Connections that they have initiated (e.g. if a user initiates a Connection, they can view it in their dashboard but the org admin cannot view it under "Requests for My Organizations")
  • The query for the user will actually fetch all GSoCConnection objects involving the User, but will not display them all so I'm assuming it's a Javascript problem
  • The above is true for the org admin side, but I don't thing that the org_admin_for property is being set correctly because it doesn't contain a full list of the organizations that the org admin is responsible for
  • If I had to guess, I'd say that the Javascript will likely be a problem as well once I figure out the above problem.
Given that this is a demo, I think that there are a bunch of changes I'd like to make and it would be counter-productive to spend a bunch of time fixing them. Instead, I think I'm going to try and combine all of the requirements into one module with ConnectionPage and ShowConnection views. Daniel and I have worked out some changes to the Connection module that will simplify the flow of the interaction. Plus, and doing so will give me the extra control I think I need. I have a design of the two views on a legal pad sitting next to me and can either scan them or whip up a Google doc (or Wiki on Google Code) to divulge the design if anyone would like to see it. In the meantime I think I'm going to put the dashboard fix on the back burner so that I can try to work on this connection view.

No comments:

Post a Comment