Monday, May 21, 2012

GSoC 2012 : Extension and Integration with External APIs : Introduction

Hi,

I am Aditi Mittal,  a 2012 Google Summer of Code student working with Melange community. It has been four weeks since the GSoC result came out but I had been quite busy with exams so couldn’t remain active, thanks to Mario for keeping his cool ( ^__^ ).

I want to thank a zillion time to Madhusudan for his continuous guidance and help since the time I started with Melange and Orcun for walking me through his code which I will be extending during the summers. Every time I talk to Melange people I learn a new thing from them. This will be my first major contribution to open source community so I am very excited about it.

After getting free from exams I asked Mario for jQuery and Javascript books. I started with The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford and Javascript: The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan and for jQuery I am reading jQuery Cookbook by Cody Lindley.

During the summers I will enhance melange user interface by adding new features such as shipment tracking, proposal syncing and data export to other formats other than CSV export of melange lists. I will also be adding Picker API functionality. Carol must be liking it :-) .

I attended the G+ hangouts(Melange conference call) and it was a unique experience talking to all the Melange members. It was like all of us were sitting in one room and discussing the project.

Talking to very experienced and supporting mentors has already strengthened my morale.
I will talk to Orcun for better understanding of his code and Mario to give the project a real start.

I can’t keep myself less excited as this going to be one of the most productive summer of my  life!!




No comments:

Post a Comment