Saturday, April 30, 2011

GSoC 2011: Integration with External APIs

I'm Orçun Avşar. Yet another Melange student for GSoC 2011. I'm from Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Çanakkale, Turkey. I study Computer Engineering. Summer of Code is a dream for most students and i'm very happy and proud of myself about taking first step on this. Since begining of university, I always loved the philosopy of Free Software. Devoloping software for everyone not for groups gives me enthusiasm on this.

We've chatted and made a Skype conference call with Melange team, we were added as commiter to project. My project aims to integrate External APIs ( for now Google APIs) with Melange. I will first start from Google spreadsheet API. then discuss other APIs like Calendar, XMPP messaging to see what else can be integrated.

My timeline till 13 May consist of theese:
- Read Melange source-code
- Read documentation and wiki pages
- Read old important discussions, issues
- Read new tests
- Get familiar with tools that Melange use (like zc.buildout)
- Get familiar with Google Data Apis and OAuth
- Submit small patches to warm up.

As well as studying melange code, i will start a playground GAE project to play with OpenOuth. You can see my proposal from here.

Mario is my mentor on that project. Also special thanks to Sverre for answering my newbie questions on #IRC without getting bored. That helped me a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment