Monday, August 9, 2010

Week 11: Social Features Project

This week I spent mostly on doing the Map View which basically involved writing mostly JS code to retrieve and then filter data based on search terms that are entered in the text input box. Initially, I had planned to allow users to filter based on location, projects etc, later I decided to just let them enter keywords. Internally, I check this keyword against tags as well as locations of users and events to filter.

This way, users do not have to specify what kind of search they want, they can just type any keyword such as 'Python' or 'Australia' to get the relevant filters.

The Google Maps API gave me a bit of problem as it took sometime and debugging to realize some method names have changed completely such as for adding/removing markers etc between V2 and V3, and I had to accordingly change my code.

The latest version with all three features is on my instance.

I have quite a bit of things left to do in the final week of GSoC:
  • write tests
  • write code to catch the exceptions(Application Error) being thrown by Calendars API and re-send requests.
  • test the functionality and workflow of user pages, calendars and maps view for bugs and fix them.

No comments:

Post a Comment