Sunday, June 6, 2010

GSoC 2010 Melange Testing Project: Week 2 of the Coding Period

In this week, I had planned to add test cases for app.soc.views.models.base.View as well as app.soc.logic.models.User.Logic and app.soc.views.models.User.View, app.soc.logic.models.Role.Logic and app.soc.views.models.Role.View.

As I mentioned in my project proposal, I want to use Django test client which acts as a dummy Web browser to test views of Melange because of its ease of use and good integration with Django (no surprise since it was developed by the Django team). So, I first tried to get Django test client working.

After many attempts, however, I still could not make it work. Then, I found that I could not even run Melange locally suddenly due to the error (google.appengine.api.yaml_errors.EmptyConfigurationFile). I first tired to solve the problem by checking the tracktrace and code. Unfortunately, however, I could not find the problem. I thought that I might have accidentally changed or removed some important files. So, I rebuilt my local Melange but it still did not work. I also tried to re-clone and rebuild another Melange, but it was still in a vain. At that time, I realized that I had to fall back on my last resort, asking my mentor Sverre :-) . Awesomely, Sverre found that the problem was due to the corrupted .appcfg_nag file and he then solved the problem by removing it.

After this problem was solved, I tried the test client again. However, it still did not work. So, I asked Sverre again and found that it is because I had used the trailing slash at the end of the url following Django's tradition while Melange uses a url pattern without the trailing slash. Finally, Django test client works!!! Hope I had asked Sverre earlier :-).

Because of these problems I encountered, I have not finished this week's work as planned. Fortunately, however, I have got Django test client working. In the next week, I will try to speed up my work, finish this week's work as soon as possible and then start next week's work load.

No comments:

Post a Comment