Tuesday, August 18, 2009

GSoC 2009: GHOP - The work begins now!

Hello everyone,
That was the last week of GSoC. Worked on very few things last week. Last week, I mostly worked on creating menus for easy accessibility of GHOP Tasks per organizations for general public and students. I also worked on Student data store model conversion to introduce School Type for students and wrote a Appengine task to convert the existing Student entities. I also added another field to hold the student grade if he is a High School Student. All other things like cleaners for these fields and views were already written during the beginning days of GSoC. Just merged them together.

Also made some modifications to access.py module to accommodate program logic as parameter than hard coded logic. Also have fixed the bugs Lennie had noted and made some changes to the subscription star toggling among other things accordingly. My demo instance is up and running at http://melange-madhusudancs.appspot.com/ and includes all the above said features.

Have also started writing the Starter Manual on how to use GHOP features for its users. I have setup a wiki page at http://code.google.com/p/soc/wiki/GHOPUserManual It is a work in progress. I will complete it soon.

And coming to the reason why I said "The work begins now!" is that, I really want to see this programme happen. If that happens I am quite sure there will be many feature requests for GHOP, which I am looking forward to implement. We want to listen to the community for the feedback on how we can improve GHOP and make it better and make it happen.

Last but not the least, I would like to thank Lennie a lot, my mentor in particular for extending his helping hand in every way possible and to have spent so much time for mentoring me. He was there every time I had a doubt or I had a question or I had a problem or I was feeling like pulling out my hair trying to resolve a bug. He spent much more time in mentoring me than I expected at the start of the programme. Thank you so much Lennie. Also I would like to thank Sverre and Pawel and everyone else on the Melange team who helped me to get this project going.

-- Thank you,
Madhusudan.C.S

P.S When can I call myself a Melange developer :P ?

No comments:

Post a Comment