Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My first week update

Hey,

here is my update on what have been done for statistic module during the first week (May 22 - May 28) of Google Summer of Code. Sorry for posting so late, but as I said on our conference call, I had to prepare a presentation for my classes and was quite busy. As always, when I have a few months for something, I end up doing it on the last night before deadline:-P
Anyway, these days, I worked mainly on backend side of the module.
First of all a new model for keeping stats was designed. It is placed in soc.models.statistic and is designed so that statistics can be collected in batches.
After that I implemented a new view for managing stats. This site just lists all statistics defined for a given program and allows user to collect them batch by batch. It uses standard Melange 'list' view.
The next view displays field values for a particular stats. It does not use any visualization, but shows only raw json strings for collected statistic. It uses standard 'public' view.
Some statistics are very similar to each other in their nature, so on the logic side, I aimed to implement some kind of framework that would make adding similar stats as easy as possible. Some instructions on how to do that have been put on wiki.
Aside from coding, an important thing was my meeting with Mario. I explained him the code I wrote (or I tried, but probably was not so good:) and we discussed some issues about displaying statistics to the users and Mario told me about a few technologies that he is planning for us to use. Jlinq seems to be very powerful, but probably Mario will describe it better:)
We also set up a repository to which we will be uploading our code changes. You can check it out at http://bitbucket.org/dhans/statistic-module-for-melange/

No comments:

Post a Comment