Monday, August 16, 2010

Document Editor: Last week of GSoC coding

Last week of GSoC coding was devoted to... everything :)

I spent 4 days on form saving framework. First of all I had to fix JS code, which sends dirty fields to the server. The problem was as follows: framework was saving only dirty fields of the form. If you loaded the form for the second time, initial state might have been rewritten. This issue was fixed and now form states are consistent. Then I've implemented back-end. I needed to create model which stores temporary fields as a JSON dumped dict. Some logic class which manipulates all the stuff has been implemented. I also had to change createGet, createPost, editGet and editPost methods of the soc.views.models.base.View class to support temporary form saving. Temporary form saving for the model is enabled via "form_autosave" key of the params dict.

After form saving I started testing the code. An issue happened immediately. There was a problem with home documents for different models which derive from soc.models.presence.Presence. Views and logic were not aware of the revision control for the document, so exceptions were raised. This issue is fixed now. I also had to fix soc.models.seed_db.seed function to seed documents in the right way.

I've also refactored diff template, so it can now show arbitrary number of diffs for different revisable fields of the model.

At last I worked at the UI. I've added "Show revisions" button on the edit page for the model. Models that support RC are now distinguished by the "revisable" key of the params dict.
I've also rearranged fields of the Document and StudentProposal forms, so they look as supposed.

Final version of my GSoC contribution was uploaded to the appspot instance http://melange-editor.appspot.com

GSoC coding has come to it's end. And I must admit that it was quite an experience. I've already participated in large software projects and earn my living with development, but GSoC is really memorable. It was cool to participate in such a big and complex open-source project! I want to thank Melange dev team, Carol, fellow GSoCers and my mentor Daniel. They were very helpful and opened. And, you know what? I wish they let me continue contributing :) Come on, guys, I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment